The Fatal Interview Sin
CollegeGrad.com presents, "The Fatal Interview Sin." Watch this video to learn how to succeed in your interview.
Hi, everyone. I'm Brian Krueger with CollegeGrad.com and this is The Job Search Minute. Don’t commit the fatal interview sin: what is it? Speaking in generalities rather than specifics. It’s not enough to say, “I’m a goal oriented person.” You have to back it up with specifics. For example, “I’m a goal oriented person. As an example, I regularly update a list of personal and professional goals with specific time frames. Since I started keeping my goal list three years ago, I successfully reached or surpassed 90% of those goals. I’m confident that the other 10% are also within reach in the coming year.” If you use generalities, a good interviewer will usually follow with a behavioral question, “can you give me a specific example?” Be ready to provide an answer, better yet, do it without prompting. This has been The Job Search Minute, for more career information please visit CollegeGrad.com.