Service Unit Operators (Oil, Gas, and Mining)
What Service unit operators Do
Operate equipment to increase oil flow from producing wells or to remove stuck pipe, casing, tools, or other obstructions from drilling wells. Includes fishing-tool technicians.
Service unit operator Salaries
- 2020 employment: 43,100
- May 2021 median annual wage: $48,410
Job Outlook for Service unit operators
Projected employment change, 2020-30:
- Number of new jobs: 9,800
- Growth rate: 23 percent (Much faster than average)
How to Become a Service unit operator
Education and training:
- Typical entry-level education: No formal educational credential
- Work experience in a related occupation: None
- Typical on-the-job training: Moderate-term on-the-job training
Get the education you need: Find schools near you!
*Some content used by permission of the Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor.