Separating, Filtering, Clarifying, Precipitating, and Still Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
What They Do
Set up, operate, or tend continuous flow or vat-type equipment; filter presses; shaker screens; centrifuges; condenser tubes; precipitating, fermenting, or evaporating tanks; scrubbing towers; or batch stills. These machines extract, sort, or separate liquids, gases, or solids from other materials to recover a refined product. Includes dairy processing equipment operators. Excludes Chemical Equipment Operators and Tenders.
- 2020 employment: 49,600
- May 2021 median annual wage: $46,030
Projected employment change, 2020-30:
- Number of new jobs: 2,500
- Growth rate: 5 percent (Slower than average)
How to Become One
Education and training:
- Typical entry-level education: High school diploma or equivalent
- Work experience in a related occupation: None
- Typical on-the-job training: Moderate-term on-the-job training
Get the education you need: Find schools near you!
*Some content used by permission of the Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor.