What Legislators Do
Develop, introduce, or enact laws and statutes at the local, tribal, state, or federal level. Includes only workers in elected positions.
- 2020 employment: 52,200
- May 2021 median annual wage: $37,270
Job Outlook for Legislators
Projected employment change, 2020-30:
- Number of new jobs: 4,000
- Growth rate: 8 percent (As fast as average)
How to Become a Legislator
Education and training:
- Typical entry-level education: Bachelor's degree
- Work experience in a related occupation: Less than 5 years
- Typical on-the-job training: None
Get the education you need: Find schools near you!
*Some content used by permission of the Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor.