Bridge and Lock Tenders
What Bridge and lock tenders Do
Operate and tend bridges, canal locks, and lighthouses to permit marine passage on inland waterways, near shores, and at danger points in waterway passages. May supervise such operations. Includes drawbridge operators, lock operators, and slip bridge operators.
Bridge and lock tender Salaries
- 2020 employment: 3,200
- May 2021 median annual wage: $45,390
Job Outlook for Bridge and lock tenders
Projected employment change, 2020-30:
- Number of new jobs: 100
- Growth rate: 3 percent (Slower than average)
How to Become a Bridge or lock tender
Education and training:
- Typical entry-level education: High school diploma or equivalent
- Work experience in a related occupation: None
- Typical on-the-job training: Short-term on-the-job training
Get the education you need: Find schools near you!
*Some content used by permission of the Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor.