Leads the City’s planning, zoning, development review, building regulations, City beautification, economic development and master planning initiatives. Reports to the City Manger and works closely with boards and commissions in a public setting. Leads the Joint Land Use Implementation Program, Joint Airport Zoning Board and the City of Kingsville Master Plan by enforcing building, zoning, subdivision, land use and development regulations. Coordinates with staff on transportation, planning and capital improvement programs to maintain the City’s goal of addressing Master Plan and Joint Land Use Implementation Program priority issues. Represents the City in negotiations related to land use and development by providing highly responsible, professional staff assistance.
Essential Job Functions
1. Manages program goals, objectives, policies and priorities to ascertain type of development, building & zoning is compliant with City expectations.
2. Coordinates Joint Land Use Implementation Program with NAS Kingsville, Kleberg County, state and local organizations and prepares documentation to formally implement recommendations;
3. Holds public workshops/hearings and presents implementation proposals
4. Participates in public meetings to keep open communication on the changing needs of the community
5. Serves and/or coordinates various community boards and councils such as Planning & Zoning Commission, Zoning Board of Adjustment, Historical Development Board and Electrical Board to maintain consistency with AICUZ, JLUS and City’s Master Plan
6. Serves as the City’s Liaison with NAS Kingsville, Kleberg County, and other governmental/development agencies for the continued mutual sharing and coordination of information relating to planning and zoning in an effort to maintain joint goals of enforcing current AICUZ areas and eliminating encroachment issues
7. Provides professional and technical staff assistance on new and on-going physical development policies to ensure the City’s compliance
8. Coordinates activities with those of the Chamber of Commerce and Economic Development Council to promote the City’s economic development
9. Prepares and presents project/incentive proposals for the continued development of Kingsville and its ETJ
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Requirements - Minimum Qualifications: BS in Urban Planning, Engineering or related field, 5 years progressively responsible planner experience; AICP Certification is required or ability to obtain within 1 year. Any combination of training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
Training, Education, Experience. And/or Other Requirements: Thorough knowledge of codes, laws and pertinent ordinance and regulations pertaining to the particular area of building and development. Ability to maintain confidentiality. Ability to read, write and communicate effectively in person or by telephone with the public in the English language. Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship and to communicate with department personnel, other City employees and the public. Requires strong interpersonal and public relations skills to work effectively with various officials, staff, citizens and other customers.
All positions require the following: 1) Valid driver’s license 2) satisfactory driving record and 3) proof of eligibility to legally work in the U.S.
The information listed above reflects minimum standards and illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific job functions, requirements or tasks does not exclude them from the job if the work is similar, related or a logical extension of the work assigned.