Job Fair Success
"In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity."
Job fairs are becoming a more common method of entry level recruiting and initial screening. For the corporate recruiter, they offer an opportunity to reach interviewing terminal velocitythe highest possible number of prospects in the shortest possible amount of time. For many students, job fairs provide a freebie opportunity to meet with multiple employers in the same day.
However, unless you do your homework, you will end up wasting your time at a job fair. Job fairs are the meat markets of the entry level job market, with employers sizing up candidates quickly, based on appearances, communication skills, and first impressions. Job fairs have a set of rules and protocols all their own. But if you understand how to effectively work within the system, you can easily double or triple your productivity and effectiveness.
Job fairs – job search nirvana? Only if you are prepared.
Often many of the attendees at job fairs are window shoppers who are just browsing to see what is available. While this approach may seem valid, take note that job fairs are not a get-acquainted session for you to meet prospective employers. They are first interviews where the plain vanilla candidates are stepped on and over by those who are targeted and prepared. Yes, even the two- to three-minute greeting and exchange of sound bites is a real interview. You are being evaluated, whether it is for thirty seconds or thirty minutes. You always need to be at your very best. If you are to succeed at the job fair of the new millennium, you have to take a very aggressive, yet structured approach.
- Understanding the Different Types of Job Fairs
- The People Behind the Tables
- Your Job Fair Portfolio
- The Major Job Fair Error Nearly Every College Student Makes
- The Walkabout Technique
- The Lineage Mileage Technique
- The Three Types of Job Fair Interviews
- The Most Common Introduction Question at a Job Fair
- How to Gain Instant Rapport in the Job Fair Interview
- The Key to the Treasure Room Technique
- Making the Most of the Time Allotted
- How to Gain Favor with Busy Job Fair Recruiters
- How To Quickly Bypass Long Interview Lines
- The Most Popular Jobs at Job Fairs
- The Lasting Impression Technique
- The Absolutely Critical Last Step of the Job Fair
- Attending Job Fairs At Other Colleges
- The Job Fair No-Show Technique