Art and Design Schools, Online Degrees and Programs
Art and Design Career DirectionsOpportunities for creative expression exist across the economy, from the entertainment industry to retail to marketing communications. Find your art and design career path in:
- Journalism: art director, photographer
- Digital design: Web developer user experience designer
- Marketing: branding consultant, advertising associate, merchandising specialist
- Retail: fashion designer or merchandiser, industrial designer
- Entertainment: game designer, movie special effects (CGI) designer, recording artist
- Construction: CAD drafter, interior designer
Art and Design Career OutlookThe career outlook is strong for commercial art and design professionals. The Department of Labor predicts 12 percent job growth for art careers from 2008 to 2018, citing ""an increased reliance on artists to create digital or multimedia artwork."" Demand for designers in traditional fields such as fashion design and jewelry design should hold steady.
Art and Design Salary InformationCommercial art and design careers offer attractive earnings potentials. Multi-media artists earned $62,380 in 2008, while fashion designers brought in $71,400. Art directors earned $88,510.
How to Prepare for a Career in Art and DesignArt and design degrees help you compete for these creative careers. Common degree requirements include:
- Associate of Art or Applied Arts. This two-year program provides career-focused technical training as well as basic design classes and studio practice.
- Bachelor of Arts. The BA typically takes four years to complete. It provides a more comprehensive general education as well as art and design training. Programs emphasize both design theory and studio practice.
- Master of Fine Arts. The MFA is a two-year graduate program building on the BA. It emphasizes studio practice.
|More Programs [+]|
California College San Diego (CCSD) offers degree programs in Medical Specialties, Respiratory Therapy, Healthcare Administration, Business Management and Accounting, Computer Technology and Networking, Computer Programming, and Computer Science. Online programs are offered by our affiliated college, Stevens-Henager College, Salt Lake City/Murray.
- National City
- San Diego
- San Marcos
Academy of Art University, founded in 1929 by artists for artists, is the nation's largest accredited, private art and design university with over 18,000 students.
- San Francisco
At University of Phoenix, we believe everyone deserves access to higher education.
- San Bernardino
- San Diego
Why ASU? At ASU, learning online is effective, flexible and smart. Every program delivered online is developed by the same excellent faculty who teach on our campuses, and is designed to engage students and professors in meaningful ways. The result? Our students are an integral part of a New American University.
Career-focused education for real‐world results.
- Sherman Oaks
Earn a Certificate, Associate, Bachelor, Master's or Doctorate for less at Baker College Online.
- Associate of Applied Science - Web Development
- Bachelor of Web Development