Art and Design Schools, Online Degrees and Programs
Art and Design Career DirectionsOpportunities for creative expression exist across the economy, from the entertainment industry to retail to marketing communications. Find your art and design career path in:
- Journalism: art director, photographer
- Digital design: Web developer user experience designer
- Marketing: branding consultant, advertising associate, merchandising specialist
- Retail: fashion designer or merchandiser, industrial designer
- Entertainment: game designer, movie special effects (CGI) designer, recording artist
- Construction: CAD drafter, interior designer
Art and Design Career OutlookThe career outlook is strong for commercial art and design professionals. The Department of Labor predicts 12 percent job growth for art careers from 2008 to 2018, citing ""an increased reliance on artists to create digital or multimedia artwork."" Demand for designers in traditional fields such as fashion design and jewelry design should hold steady.
Art and Design Salary InformationCommercial art and design careers offer attractive earnings potentials. Multi-media artists earned $62,380 in 2008, while fashion designers brought in $71,400. Art directors earned $88,510.
How to Prepare for a Career in Art and DesignArt and design degrees help you compete for these creative careers. Common degree requirements include:
- Associate of Art or Applied Arts. This two-year program provides career-focused technical training as well as basic design classes and studio practice.
- Bachelor of Arts. The BA typically takes four years to complete. It provides a more comprehensive general education as well as art and design training. Programs emphasize both design theory and studio practice.
- Master of Fine Arts. The MFA is a two-year graduate program building on the BA. It emphasizes studio practice.
|More Programs [+]|
With an education from an Art Institutes school, imagine what you could create.
- San Diego
- Santa Monica
At University of Phoenix, we believe everyone deserves access to higher education.
- Los Angeles
- Costa Mesa
Academy of Art University, founded in 1929 by artists for artists, is the nation's largest accredited, private art and design university with over 18,000 students.
- San Francisco
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get in, get moving, and get ahead.
- Associate's (AABA) - Visual Communication
Turn your talents into a career at nationally recognized and accredited Platt College.
Why ASU? At ASU, learning online is effective, flexible and smart. Every program delivered online is developed by the same excellent faculty who teach on our campuses, and is designed to engage students and professors in meaningful ways. The result? Our students are an integral part of a New American University.
Are you interested in pursuing a high-tech career? Getting an education from ITT Tech is a great place to start!
- Rancho Cordova
- AS - Web Design
- AS - Graphic Communications and Design